06 April, 2017

Literary Examination of My Immortal

Eh, never mind. I was really tired when I tried to write this and my ideas got really lost. 
I ain't deleting, though. I stand by my shitty ramblings.


First of all, if you have never heard of My Immortal I will suggest you take a moment and read as much as you can before we begin. You can read it here.

In summary, a girl who is very gothic goes to Hogwarts in the Harry Potter universe and makes friends with all the main characters, who all become gothic as well. There many "romantic" scenes that make little sense, like most things that go on in the story.

OK, but ignoring the fact that My Immortal makes my eyes bleed trying to read it, looking at it as a piece that is the product of unteathered enthusiasm, exploring the psychological development of a young girl and her on-again-off-again friend as the two navigate the confusion of being thirteen years old. Let me explain:

First of all, the world that these girls have created is quite the amalgamation of canon elements from Harry Potter and the fantasy life the author and her friend created for themselves. I see it as them seeking comfort in a familiar cultural reference, and indulging themselves in being a part of a story they know, while still attempting to create their own content, however awkward it is for the rest of us. It also brings to light how young teens are still trying to figure out where they fit, while still trying to be unique. Inserting their own characters in the established world of Harry Potter could be the pair's desire to be a part of something popular. Their characters' extreme styles are apparently their attempt to try out styles and attitudes they wish they could express in real life. The combination of the two creates a universe where their characters are not only a part of something very popular, but by have several characters from the books and movies adopting their style, they express a desire to, not only be popular, but to be included in a group that they idealize without worrying about judgement or stigma.

The author and her friend also deal with their burgeoning sexual desires as well. I'm not gonna get too into why a thirteen year old wants to get busy, but their story really does help them to sort things out that they might not be able to otherwise. In the story, the main character has physical relationships with (too) many characters from the Harry Potter world. The brief and extremely nondescript scenes drive home the fact that the author has no idea what sex is like, but she is very curious about it, as she writes several scenes. It's also interesting to seen how the scenes lack detail, almost as if the author is ashamed of writing it, like it's some sort of taboo to write about sexual encounters. It reminds me of in middle school when the words "penis", or "clitoris" were whispered, then giggled over. Tee hee, I wrote a sex. But it's more than that, I think. It's these little girls dealing with physical attraction for, perhaps, the first time. All they know is that if you find someone attractive that MUST mean you want to have sex with them. They haven't quite figured out that they can just say "wow, they're hot" and carry on, or understand that attraction doesn't necessarily have to be completely sexual.

Lastly, I admire the girls for continuing to post their stories even after "preps" picked their narratives apart and "flamd" their updates. The author and her friend just wanted to play make believe, working out emotional confusion along the way. Despite everything, they persisted, and somehow managed to produce 44 chapters. I could go on, but trying to defend My Immortal is giving me heart burn. I may post again later, if I think of any points I forgot to make. Tell me what you think about My Immortal (other than it sucks, preps stop flammin mah fookin storiez).

No comments:

Post a Comment