26 March, 2016

Mirages

Baine is a character I write about a lot. He's a remnant of all my high school angst and everything I thought I wanted in a potential life mate. He formed as a way of expressing what I admired in others and would look for in someone I thought, at the time, I would want to date. As he evolved, he became more and more a reflection of myself and my inner struggles. It's kind of weird to think that I would personify myself as a male, but that's just how it came to be. He has gone through many transformations before settling into a character I felt had become full realized. He used to be Jason, then Reinen, then Reinen became a different character, and Baine settled in. It's kind of hard to explain....
 Anyway, here's the start for an RP that I made that was inspired by the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. This one, I started in 203? I think? I've always had an odd fondness for westerns...




Baine stared out across the hard-pan. His waterskin dragged behind him in the dust, empty and useless. Heat danced across the horizon. How long had it been since the  Holland Gang had driven him out onto the dead lake, dumping him, bound hand and foot, to die like a bug in an oven? He couldn’t tell. He wiped sweat from brow and tugged his battered hat lower onto his head. The sun was too hot.

“This is it..” he said to himself. His voice little more than a husky growl. “I’m gonna bite the big one out here. Tell momma I love her and all that” He chuckled to himself. It was a  mirthless sound. He smiled (grimace) as the hard-pan suddenly rushed up to meet him. He was momentarily baffled by the grit on his face. His mind told him to get up, to keep moving forward. “But why...” the church steeple that swam in the heat-glamour was nothing but one of those “mi-rajes” he heard about from old cowboys and educated eastern folk. So must those bells. Church bells. He closed his eyes. Maybe they were the bells  of heaven. He laughed again. If he was going to heaven..

No comments:

Post a Comment